The Precision Machining Laboratory (Towne 169) houses equipment to aid in metal manufacturing. It contains four manual mills, five manual lathes, three Prototrak hybrid mills, three CNC mills (Fadal VMC-15X, Haas MiniMill, Haas OfficeMill), one CNC lathe (Haas TL-1), and various other metal prototyping equipment. To use the machine shop, you must obtain access and follow all safety rules and policies.
Hours – During academic sessions (see calendar):
Mon-Thurs: 9AM-10PM , Fri: 9AM – 7PM, Sat: 12PM – 6PM, Sun: 12PM – 9PM
Safety and Usage Policies
PML rules must be followed at ALL TIMES. Violation of these rules may result in revocation of access.
- Complete the training and have your name listed in the access database.
- Only work on machinery for which you have been trained.
- Never work alone (a trained supervisor or shop staff member must be in the shop area while you are working).
- Visitors who have not been given machine shop access are not permitted in the shop.
- Wear safety glasses (provided) at all times while inside the fabrication area.
- Wear closed-toe shoes or boots.
- Remove jewelry.
- Wear no excessively loose clothing that could get caught in rotating machinery.
- Tie back long hair.
- Do not use your cellphone or headphones while operating machinery.
- Have a clear frame of mind (no intoxication, no excessive sleep deprivation).
- Dispose of any chemical waste in proper containers.
- No food or drink is permitted in the shop area.
- Ask for help if you are unsure of something.
- Keep all work surfaces clean and dry.
- Clean, reset, and organize equipment after use.
- Report all broken/damaged/worn tools to a member of the lab staff.
- Complete a 5-10 minute shop job (issued at the discretion of the on-duty staff person) before leaving.
- Work to ensure the safety of yourself and others.
- Any injuries must be reported immediately via an injury incident report.
injury incident form
© 2023 MEAM Labs
Theme by Anders Norén — Up ↑